Parth of the month | The missing Lisbon funiculars - The ´Estrela´ funicular
Send this content
Establishing a connection between ´Praça de Luís de Camões´ and ´Largo da Estrela´, this lift, built by the New Company of the Mechanical Funiculars of Lisbon, was inaugurated in August 1890.
Driven by an endless cable funicular traction system, it used composites formed by an open tug carriage and a closed box carriage with 8 seated seats, and in that 10 seated seats and 4 standing.
The service ran from 8 am to 9 pm, with a stop between noon and 2 pm, and the trips costed 1 ´pataco´ (40 réis) between Camões and Estrela, or 1 ´pence´(20 ´réis´) from ´Poço dps Negros´ to any terminal.
The ´machimbombos´ of Estrela (name the cars were known), ceased function in 1913.