Parth of the month | The ´Graça´ Funicular
Send this content
The ‘Graça’ Funicular was inaugurated in March 1893, built by the ‘Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa’. It made the link between ‘Nova da Palma’ Street and ‘Graça’ Square.
Like its counterpart in ‘Estrela’, this funicular used rotating cable traction system.
Due to expensive fares during the first few years of its operation, profits were low. Only in 1897 did this funicular begin to be profitable.
Its stopped functioning in 1910 after 17 years of service.