Museu da Carris

News

Send this content

Your information:

 

Recipient(s) email(s):

You may also add a message:

 

Be aware of Museum major news and activities!

 
01.05.15 Cartoon by Francisco Valença
Aumentar

Francisco Valença was born in Lisbon in 1882. He cultivated various genres in the arts, like watercolours but it was cartoons which he made popular.
Of the many works he produced, we emphasize the creation of an “ex-libris” and theatre scenes, illustrations of author’s fictional works and inevitably many caricatures in various newspapers like ‘Diário de Notícias’ and ‘Sempre Fixe’ which he directed for many years.
In Carris’ history the above cartoon was produced around the time of the introduction of the double-decker buses in 1947.
This cartoon illustrates the Company’s initiative to improve and innovate but also at the same time, the typical humour of the Lisbon people, represented here by ‘Zé Povinho’, and in the title which accompanies it:
Miss Trolley’s Gift
“  Here you are Zé… what do you think of this bus with two floors?
The only thing missing is the attic….”

Francisco Valença died in Lisbon in 1962.

30.04.15
Aumentar

18.04.15 Tram n.º 802
Aumentar

In 1939 CARRIS increased the public service fleet with five new trams numbers 801 to 805.

Although this original tram had a different destination indicator to the 802 launched later that year, it kept the same characteristics of all the trams of this series for a few years.

A few aspects of this tram are very noticeable: its robust size and wooden doors which substituted iron folding doors. This was the first time these doors were used, as well as the nine windows on both sides of the roof, unique to these trams.

What really caught the public attention was the exterior painting design which still maintained white and yellow bands along the sides of the tram ending in a point on the front.
The same applies to the Company’s name originally written in full and substituted with an abbreviator of CCFL.

Another unique characteristic was the tram drivers’ cabin made of wood and closed, separating him from the public.

Over the years other alterations were done, the most visible being the destination indicator, the removal of the roof’s side windows and a new painting design making yellow the dominant colour on the lateral panels as well as in front.

In 1943 the series was increased with another five trams numbered 806 to 810.

31.03.15 Tramcar n.º 283
Aumentar

Tramcar nº 283, from the ‘glorious days’ of electric traction, was part of the series numbered 283 to 322 and started service in 1902. The body was completely open and comprised of a roof with lanterns supported on columns. A footrest ran along the length of the car for easy boarding. Inside it had 12 wooden seats, able to accommodate 48 seated passengers and on the rear platform, space for another 6 standing passengers. More than its appearance was its size which probably created a sensation in Lisbon. Measuring 11,35 meters, it was nicknamed, as was the other tramcars of this series, ‘formidable monstrosity’. 

The following quote, from the ‘Novidades’ newspaper, dated the 30th of January 1902 confirms this impression:
“Today one of the huge tramcars which the ‘Companhia dos Tramways’ recently imported began its operation. It is an open tramcar with 12 seats, 8 wheels, 4 in front and 4 in the rear. It is a formidable monstrosity. Whatever it crashes with, will certainly be demolished and it will be final”.

In the 50’s of the last century, all the cars of this model were progressively scraped with the exception of nº 283 which became a driving instruction car. Ten years later, CARRIS donated it to the ‘Monsanto’ children’s park until it was returned to the Company in the 80’s to be integrated into the CARRIS Museum collection.

28.02.15 The Elliot Bross Theodolite
Aumentar

The Theodolite is an optical instrument which measures vertical and horizontal angles and which is used in various sectors such as navigation, civil construction, agriculture and metrology.
The structure of the Theodolite is made with a circular movement of two independent axis – one fixed and the other movable (double angles). The movable angles are bound by pressurized screws. The horizontal limb permits a blockage in any position making a reading possible in degrees, minutes or seconds. Other parts necessary for a reading are the tripod, a counterweight, the horizontal limbs, a nonius, an air bubble leveller, a light filter, and magnifying glasses.

This apparatus is equipped with a compass to measure topographic horizontal and vertical angles and was used for the installation of the electric trams in 1900.

06.02.15
Aumentar

30.01.15 BUS N.º 851
Aumentar

In 1986 Carris, together with the Ministry of Culture used 3 of its double decker buses in a project to create a  specially designed painting   by artists for exhibition to the public.

Eduardo Nery who was dedicated to artistic activities such as mosaics, tile painting & tapestry making,  and who also decorated the 'Campo Grande' Metro station of Lisbon, was one of these artists. 
A project using two single deck buses put one on top of each other  to create the height of the vehicle used, suggests an 'orange' bus suspended in  the air by using tones of blue shades on the lower part  representing the sky and creating the effect of space. The headlights, bumper and other accessories of the top bus contributed to increase the illusion of a real bus in suspension, on the the top part of the work.
These buses did not survive the passage of time and were suspended from service, therefore giving way to the recuperation of this project with bus no. 851, identical to the original which is exhibited in the Museum.

31.12.14 MINIATURE ARTICULATED TRAM
Aumentar

With the decline of the first tram modes in the 60´s and 70´s, a relaunch of this means of urban transport was initiated in the 90´s.
Therefore, in 1992 CARRIS launched a public tender for the acquisition of the modern electric trams for greater capacity, comfort and safety.
This miniature tram was a pilot project for the current articulated trams in use.

01.12.14 SPAL pieces for sale at the Museum Store
Aumentar

CARRIS Museum launched in December a new collection of SPAL pieces by Eduardo Alarcão. Visit our online store or the CARRIS Museum in ´Santo Amaro´ and get to know them!

Artist: Eduardo Alarcão
Birth Date: 01/10/1930
Eduardo Alarcão was born in 1930 and died in February 2003.

 SPAL Box
 SPAL Coffee cup and saucer
 SPAL Pine boxes
 SPAL Pencil holder


A 30 years´ work painting streets, alleys, trams, Lisbon houses and beyond, in a work that spans more than 500 frames.
A very personalized and easily recognized painting that delighted all those who love art, during the 80s and 90s were highlighted throughout this artistic journey.
We can dentify two periods:´naivismo´ and ´gestualista´ expressionism. 
Two phases as distinct , as if it were two completely different artists. The first, detailed, colorful and substantially distorted. The second period covers practically all the 90's and the early years of the new century, until his death. Recreates a free expressionism, intense and satirical , where the work of Artur Bual and even Martins Correia, serve as a references in the struggle for freedom trace, which has become a constant obsession in this period. it is at this stage that works of rare beauty are created, some with very generous dimensions.
The "Marches of Lisbon" 1981 is perhaps the icon of the first period, that many will remember for sure. However, the works "Dali", "Lapp" and "The girls learn", deeply marked the work of this artist.

30.11.14 TRAM TRAFFIC COORDINATION BATS
Aumentar

PARTH OF THE MONTH | NOVEMBER
TRAM TRAFFIC COORDINATION BATS
Few people remember what these objects were used for by
the CARRIS company.
These coordination bats were used for many years in one way streets
before the introduction of traffic lights.
They were used on several routes such as the famous n.º 28 tram
route. In 'Rua das Escolas Gerais' for example, this one way street
is used alternatively in different directions by one tram at a time.
At the time, these bats were used to indicate the free passage
or not, of the tram.

17.11.14
Aumentar

On November 17th 1873 the first line of "Americanos" was inaugurated.

The line functioned opened to the public from the northern railway line station and east (´Santa Apoloónia´) and the extreme west of mound of ´Boa Vista´ (´Santos´).

15.11.14
Aumentar

31.10.14
Aumentar

26.10.14
Aumentar

02.10.14
Aumentar

18.09.14
Aumentar

17.09.14
Aumentar

01.09.14 FRAME WITH TICKET COLLECTION
Aumentar

Founded at the end of the third quarter of the nineteenth century, CARRIS has more than one hundred transport tickets issued that have made the delight of collectors.
And thanks to them, especially to collectors of "capicuas" numbers. 
This is a set of tickets, taken by the collector ´Horacio José da Cruz´, composed of 999 tickets, with numbering palindrome, from the number 00100 to 99999.

31.08.14
Aumentar

30.08.14
Aumentar

01.08.14 AMERICAN CAR BENCH
Aumentar

There are some rare objects that tend to get overlooked, despite the interest they have in the history of the Company, due to different uses that the passage of years attributed to them.

In this group there is a wooden bench made of wood that served for decades in the waiting room of the Health Service in Santo Amaro depot and that was identified as belonging to the animal traction cars (american cars).

85 inches in height and a length of 2.30 meters, combined with the robustness and compulsory lightness of the materials used in cars driven by animal traction, the aesthetic concern, translated into a design based on the five-pointed star, opened in the molded boards that serve as backrest.

31.07.14 FUNICULAR MODEL
Aumentar

This miniature model of a funicular dates back to 1892, designed and built by ´Joaquim Borges Cardoso´, partner of the ´Cardoso & d' Argent´ Company. He built among other projects, the company funiculars and ´Santa Justa´ lift. It is believed that this model served as part of the study done to install steam traction on funiculars.

It was object of meticulous restoration in the workshops of the Maintenance Department of the ´Santo Amaro´ depot. His great interest was, apart from all aesthetic care taken in its construction, in the mechanical system. It is so well designed and executed, that the little cleaning and lubrication maintenance done was enough to keep it in condition, despite having been out of service for many years.

10.07.14
Aumentar

30.06.14 MIRROR IN THE ´SHIFT´ ROOM
Aumentar

For many years all CARRIS depots, with the exception of Miraflores, had wall mirrors that given their location were known as the ´Mirrors of the ´Shift´ Room´.

80cm wide by 180cm high and protected by wooden frames they reflected the continued concern of the Company for the way its staff presented themselves to their clients. This is clearly evident in the set of rules for general appearance recorded in them:

Another minute and see how
You present yourself in service.
Attention! Have you shaved?
Is your suit clean?
Note well
A clean look
Pleases everyone

And if someone thinks the word ´limpesa´ was badly written look again. It was the correct way to spell it back then.

This mirror on display here dates back from 1937 and was in the ´Shift´ Room of ´Santo Amaro´ Depot which at that time was called the Drivers Room.

29.05.14
Aumentar