Museu da Carris


Send this content

Your information:


Recipient(s) email(s):

You may also add a message:


Be aware of Museum major news and activities!

30.01.15 BUS N.º 851

In 1986 Carris, together with the Ministry of Culture used 3 of its double decker buses in a project to create a  specially designed painting   by artists for exhibition to the public.

Eduardo Nery who was dedicated to artistic activities such as mosaics, tile painting & tapestry making,  and who also decorated the 'Campo Grande' Metro station of Lisbon, was one of these artists. 
A project using two single deck buses put one on top of each other  to create the height of the vehicle used, suggests an 'orange' bus suspended in  the air by using tones of blue shades on the lower part  representing the sky and creating the effect of space. The headlights, bumper and other accessories of the top bus contributed to increase the illusion of a real bus in suspension, on the the top part of the work.
These buses did not survive the passage of time and were suspended from service, therefore giving way to the recuperation of this project with bus no. 851, identical to the original which is exhibited in the Museum.


With the decline of the first tram modes in the 60´s and 70´s, a relaunch of this means of urban transport was initiated in the 90´s.
Therefore, in 1992 CARRIS launched a public tender for the acquisition of the modern electric trams for greater capacity, comfort and safety.
This miniature tram was a pilot project for the current articulated trams in use.

01.12.14 SPAL pieces for sale at the Museum Store

CARRIS Museum launched in December a new collection of SPAL pieces by Eduardo Alarcão. Visit our online store or the CARRIS Museum in ´Santo Amaro´ and get to know them!

Artist: Eduardo Alarcão
Birth Date: 01/10/1930
Eduardo Alarcão was born in 1930 and died in February 2003.

 SPAL Coffee cup and saucer
 SPAL Pine boxes
 SPAL Pencil holder

A 30 years´ work painting streets, alleys, trams, Lisbon houses and beyond, in a work that spans more than 500 frames.
A very personalized and easily recognized painting that delighted all those who love art, during the 80s and 90s were highlighted throughout this artistic journey.
We can dentify two periods:´naivismo´ and ´gestualista´ expressionism. 
Two phases as distinct , as if it were two completely different artists. The first, detailed, colorful and substantially distorted. The second period covers practically all the 90's and the early years of the new century, until his death. Recreates a free expressionism, intense and satirical , where the work of Artur Bual and even Martins Correia, serve as a references in the struggle for freedom trace, which has become a constant obsession in this period. it is at this stage that works of rare beauty are created, some with very generous dimensions.
The "Marches of Lisbon" 1981 is perhaps the icon of the first period, that many will remember for sure. However, the works "Dali", "Lapp" and "The girls learn", deeply marked the work of this artist.


Few people remember what these objects were used for by
the CARRIS company.
These coordination bats were used for many years in one way streets
before the introduction of traffic lights.
They were used on several routes such as the famous n.º 28 tram
route. In 'Rua das Escolas Gerais' for example, this one way street
is used alternatively in different directions by one tram at a time.
At the time, these bats were used to indicate the free passage
or not, of the tram.


On November 17th 1873 the first line of "Americanos" was inaugurated.

The line functioned opened to the public from the northern railway line station and east (´Santa Apoloónia´) and the extreme west of mound of ´Boa Vista´ (´Santos´).








Founded at the end of the third quarter of the nineteenth century, CARRIS has more than one hundred transport tickets issued that have made the delight of collectors.
And thanks to them, especially to collectors of "capicuas" numbers. 
This is a set of tickets, taken by the collector ´Horacio José da Cruz´, composed of 999 tickets, with numbering palindrome, from the number 00100 to 99999.




There are some rare objects that tend to get overlooked, despite the interest they have in the history of the Company, due to different uses that the passage of years attributed to them.

In this group there is a wooden bench made of wood that served for decades in the waiting room of the Health Service in Santo Amaro depot and that was identified as belonging to the animal traction cars (american cars).

85 inches in height and a length of 2.30 meters, combined with the robustness and compulsory lightness of the materials used in cars driven by animal traction, the aesthetic concern, translated into a design based on the five-pointed star, opened in the molded boards that serve as backrest.


This miniature model of a funicular dates back to 1892, designed and built by ´Joaquim Borges Cardoso´, partner of the ´Cardoso & d' Argent´ Company. He built among other projects, the company funiculars and ´Santa Justa´ lift. It is believed that this model served as part of the study done to install steam traction on funiculars.

It was object of meticulous restoration in the workshops of the Maintenance Department of the ´Santo Amaro´ depot. His great interest was, apart from all aesthetic care taken in its construction, in the mechanical system. It is so well designed and executed, that the little cleaning and lubrication maintenance done was enough to keep it in condition, despite having been out of service for many years.



For many years all CARRIS depots, with the exception of Miraflores, had wall mirrors that given their location were known as the ´Mirrors of the ´Shift´ Room´.

80cm wide by 180cm high and protected by wooden frames they reflected the continued concern of the Company for the way its staff presented themselves to their clients. This is clearly evident in the set of rules for general appearance recorded in them:

Another minute and see how
You present yourself in service.
Attention! Have you shaved?
Is your suit clean?
Note well
A clean look
Pleases everyone

And if someone thinks the word ´limpesa´ was badly written look again. It was the correct way to spell it back then.

This mirror on display here dates back from 1937 and was in the ´Shift´ Room of ´Santo Amaro´ Depot which at that time was called the Drivers Room.




16.05.14 There is life in CARRIS Museum

We would like to invite you to a new, completely renovated space at our Museum with different contents and activities.
It brings together a permanent collection alluding to the history of the METRO’s history.

Open since January 12th 1999, the CARRIS Museum bears witness to the contribution of the company to the city of Lisbon, simultaneously leaving its cultural mark in the history and life of the city and all who visit and live in it.

The following spaces of interest are available for a memorable visit:
  • Nucleus I: This presents the historical evolution of CARRIS and the Metro through documents, objects, uniforms and various apparatus which were part of the daily life of the companies.
  • Nucleus  II: Here you will find transportation vehicles, workshop machines, a printing workshop and also an area dedicated to Metro’s Art.
  • Nucleus III: This has an exhibition of work and transportation vehicles expecting renovation. In this space there is also a ‘Depot  atmosphere’  with obliterators and  Metro validation channels.
  • The transfer between CARRIS’ Museum’s buildings is done in a 1901 tram.
  • Art Gallery: A contemporary Art Gallery with diverse, individual and collective exhibitions. Open daily from 10 a.m – 17 p.m   (except Sundays & Public Holidays). Entrance is free. At the moment, the gallery has a ‘Tempos de Vista’ exhibition on display until 24th April. This is a ‘Betweenness’ work by Ines Teles and Mim Kim.
  • Educational service: This was created with the idea to link CARRIS’ Museum with educational activity adapted to various audiences promoting different interactive activities, stimulating thought, sensations and ideas. This will be done with guided visits, workshops, courses, school holiday and birthday parties.
  • Microfilm Room: Film ‘Lisbon, who are you?’: This is where a video projection is currently being shown telling the story of Lisbon city through its monuments, strategic points, facts and influential personalities, through its history. It uses cutting edge technology in its digital design and animation with multi projection video system and sound.
  • Lisbon Village Underground: Office spaces for the creative industry constructed from containers and 2 old collection buses from CARRIS’ Museum. It is part of an International platform for culture and creativity which has existed in London since 2007.
The CARRIS Museum would like to get closer to its visitors offering a set of cultural, dynamic and leisurely activities.
We happily await you, to relive the intriguing, unforgettable memory of our Public Transport’s story.
This journey and experience with CARRIS’ Museum simply cannot be missed!



In 1961, the CARRIS internal magazine published an article about a season ticket in the name of Carlos Viegas Gago Coutinho. The Treasury Department returned this ticket to CARRIS in 1891, long after he left the country.
The holder was a young man (born in 1869 and died in 1959) wearing a straw hat and a polka dot tie. He was an Admiral in the Portuguese Navy. This post was acquired after crossing the South Atlantic Ocean in the company of Sacadura Cabral in 1922.
Quoting the author's note in the magazine about Admiral Gago Coutinho, it said: "he was always a simple man, even after being recognized. He never had a car and on land loved to ride the tram. I was his neighbour for many years, travelled often in his company in the ´S. Bento´ cars we both took on ´Largo Conde Barão´ when we went downtown".