Museu da Carris

News

Send this content

Your information:

 

Recipient(s) email(s):

You may also add a message:

 

Be aware of Museum major news and activities!

 
03.10.16
Aumentar

03.10.16
Aumentar

01.10.16 Parth of the month | Bus nº. 301
Aumentar

In 1947, two double-decker buses began operation in Lisbon’s streets and this novelty provoked admiration and also a certain caution by the inhabitants of the city. These Leyland – model Titan buses were of English manufacture and numbered 201 and 202. Their occupation was for 56 seated passengers.
These double-decker buses, currently not in service, were a typical English product. Their popularity was mainly due to the fact that they offered many more seated places, while occupying the same space on the road as a single-deck bus.
Eighteen A.E.C. – model Regal Mark III double-decker buses began service in 1949. In 1952, more of these buses began circulation, as in the case of nº 217, which later was taken out of service in 1982. Bus nº 301 began service on the 1st of October 1957, which at present is exhibit in the Museum with the original finishing touches.
In 1958 new double-decker buses appeared with an automatic door on the front right hand side of the bus. This replaced the previous open platform point of entry and exit, which was situated at the back of the bus.
The last series 800 (nº 801 to 855) double-decker buses were taken out of circulation in 1995 and, in doing so, ended the use of double-decker buses in Lisbon. 

01.09.16 Parth of the month | Trailer Tram N.º 101

The trailers were a successful result of an attempt to increase the capacity of the transport system. Since the end of the XIX century this was done in all European networks.
Lisbon was no exception and had their trams equipped for trailers since the inauguration of the network in 1901.
A 100 closed trailer trams were constructed between 1950 and 1955 in the Carris workshops in Santo Amaro. These new trailer trams were intended to progressively replace the old existing trailers.
The bodies of these trams were very similar to the new Series 700 and  the  "box" trams  which in their balanced design gave a modern  touch to the Tram fleet of the 50‘s and 60's , at a time when many first generation bodies  still circulated.       
The trailer trams had some disadvantages in their operation, being composed of 2 separate vehicles without interconnecting, a ticket vendor was needed in each vehicle. This didn't adapt to the modern systems of automatic ticket charging.
Therefore Lisbon abolished its trailer trams in 1988 and in 1995 adopted a modern articulated tram with 2 articulations to circulate on the riverside line.

31.08.16 Parth of the month | Photograph of President ‘Teófilo Braga’ on a tram
Aumentar

‘Joaquim Fernandes Teófilo Braga’ was born on the 24th February 1843 in ‘Ponta Delgada’ on ‘São Miguel Island’ in the Azores. He acquired his Law Degree at the ‘Coimbra’ University and his Doctorate in 1868.
He became Professor of Modern Literature in 1872 and in 1880 participated in the ‘Camões’ tercentenary which was the Republic’s first great public demonstration.
His works and political activity was the subject for persecution but in spite of this, he remained true to his ideals throughout. Even during the monarchy he maintained his position as Deputy of Lisbon’s Municipality and member of the Portuguese Republican Party, of which he was President when the 5th of October’s Revolution occurred in 1910.
He was chosen as head of the provisional government as President of the Republic and it was his government who chose the national flag on the 29th November 1910 and also chose ‘A Portuguesa’ as the national anthem. He was elected President of the Republic on the 14th of May in 1915.
‘Teófilo’ was a very simple man, perhaps too much so. Any Lisbon resident would see him riding the Tram with his umbrella on his arm or with his walking stick even while still President.
Being President was not in character with his personality, when he finished his mandate he continued his activity of Research.
‘Teófilo Braga’ died in Lisbon in 1923 and is buried at the National Pantheon.

31.07.16
Aumentar

10.07.16
Aumentar

01.07.16 Photograph of the first Carris bus in 1912
Aumentar

In 1912 Carris responded to the demand of those who needed to travel in an accessible, quick and economic manner to the suburbs. As a result, Carris thought it a better idea to extend the expensive tram lines to the outside of the city using yet another system of locomotion. For this reason, buses were ordered from England with a view to serve this new clientele.
The first of these bus lines was inaugurated at the end of 1912 and was destined for ‘Carnide’. The buses were named “carros saloios” and the routes that were opened extended the network to ‘Algés’, ‘Carnaxide’, ‘Caneças’, ‘Montachique’, ‘Bucelas’ and many other areas within the city framework.
These buses were brought from the Leyland Factory in England. Unfortunately, World War I, would come to cause a fatal blow to the client’s demand for this type of transport. It lasted 3 years and the extended war period gave way to a scarcity of the essential materials needed by these vehicles like fuel, tyres and spare parts which disappeared from the import market.
Before their extinction at the end of 1915, the bus lines had been extended to ‘Sintra’. The ‘Lumiar’, ‘Mafra’, ‘Ericeira’ line was also considered in 1914.
Carris does not maintain any of these Leyland buses which gave way to the transport of passengers and tourists to the suburbs and monuments around ‘Sintra’, and to ‘Mafra’ where picnics were enjoyed on Sunday afternoons, not to mention, the beaches in the area.
All that is left today in Carris’ archives are a photographic collection of these pioneer buses.

03.06.16
Aumentar

02.06.16
Aumentar

01.06.16
Aumentar

01.06.16
Aumentar

18.05.16 SWEET REBEL BRIDE SITE RECOMMENDS CARRIS MUSEUM
Aumentar

Time of weddingS is about to start and Carris Museum continues to be referenced as one of the most unique and special places of Lisbon.
Its not us who say that, see the site Sweet Rebel Bride.
Come and meet our spaces. Schedule your visit.

18.05.16 18th may visit Carris Museum

16.05.16
19.04.16
Aumentar

09.04.16
Aumentar

01.04.16
Aumentar

01.04.16
Aumentar

21.12.15 Carris Museum closed on Christmas and New Year period

The Carris Museum will be closed on 24, 25, 26, 27 and 31 December and 1st, 2nd and January 3rd .

30.11.15
Aumentar

24.10.15
Aumentar

19.09.15
Aumentar

31.08.15
Aumentar

10.07.15
Aumentar