Museu da Carris


Send this content

Your information:


Recipient(s) email(s):

You may also add a message:


Be aware of Museum major news and activities!

21.04.19 CARRIS Museum Closed | 23rd April

On 23rd of April (Tuesday) CARRIS' Museum will be closed.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.


On 9th April (Tuesday) the Space II of CARRIS' MUSEUM is closed.

On this day, it is possible to visit for free the Spaces I e II for free.

01.04.19 Parth of the month | Tramcar 802

801 to 810 Series

Part of a set of five units which soon became tem, the 802 tramcar began circulation in November 1939.

The many alterations done over its fifty year existence resulted in the loss of many of its original characteristics. Amongst these the driver’s cabin, the glass in the roof and its own chromatic plan, as displayed at present.
Withdrawn from service in 1983.

Built by Carris and restored as it was when it began service.

06.02.19 Parth of the month | Miniature of Tramcar nº901

Model of tramcar nº901 built in the Carris’s workshops in Santo Amaro Station. Represents a series of 10 cars with large engines, series from 901 to 910, that began service in 1947.

This post-war fleet was innovative and modern. From 1989 to 1991 the tramcars “900” were withdrawn from service.

The Miniature can be visited in the First Part of the CARRIS Museum and an original vehicle from the fleet, the nº904, in the Second Part of the CARRIS Museum.


04.01.19 PARTH OF THE MONTH | Photograph of the Museum Archive

Photography of the Bus nº3 A.E.C. Regal Mark III, receiving passengers next to the Marquês de Pombal square. 

Dating back to the 1950s this is one of several records of the circulation of the old green buses of A.E.C and Daimler. 

These graphic documents stored in the archive of the Carris Museum also propose a chronological journey through the city of Lisbon reminding us of its development always accompanied by the history of CARRIS itself. 

This image was assigned to the Carris Museum by Mr. Fernando José Gomes Ravasco de La-Granje, when retired from the position of head of the electric movement. 

04.12.18 Parth of the month | The American Tram nº100

The Carris Railways Company inaugurated its service to the public in 1873 with animal traction vehicles moving on rails. Nicknamed ‘Americanos’ two animals pulled them.

The introduction of electric trams in 1901 led to their complete extinction.

The replica displayed here represents one of these models, which was completely built in the CARRIS workshops, part of a project dated 1886.

Its more than 140 years can be marked by three distinct phases: the ‘americanos’ – horse-drawn cars pulled on rails – the trams and the buses.

The initial phase – of the ‘americanos’ - started in 1873, with the inauguration of the first route between Santos and Santa Apolónia.

The ‘diário oficial do império do Brazil’ delivered on the last packet ship, published a government decree authorising the foundation of the ‘Carris de Ferro’ (horse railways) Company of Lisbon in Rio de Janeiro. FranciscoMaria Cordeiro de Sousa, vice-consul of the United States at that time, and Luciano Cordeiro de Sousa approved its statutes due to the concessions of the Portuguese Government and to the contract approved by the Council of Lisbon on 13 October 1870 (…) The company is Portuguese. The headquarters will be in Rio de Janeiro with a managing director in Lisbon.
Diário de Notícias, no. 2424, 18 October 1872

Car Length: 6m
Shaft Length: 2,040m                                                                                                
N. º of  Wheels: 4 de 0,75m
Brakes: 2, manuais às rodas 


06.11.18 Parth of the Month | Miniature of the Bus nº35

Model constructed in the Workshops of Santo Amaro Station.

Representing one of the 78 vehicles of one deck/floor, brand A.E.C Regal Mark III model with Weymann bodywork, that begun service in 1948. 

You may visit this historical miniature at the First Nucleus of Carris Museum, the light will turn on as you pass through the piece. 

Miniatura do Autocarro nº35

Miniatura do Autocarro nº35


04.10.18 Parth of the Month | Ophthalmic Light Chart

The Snellen scale or Snellen's optometric scale is a diagram used to assess visual acuity. The table is named in honor of the dutch ophthalmologist Herman Snellen, who developed it in 1862.

There are two versions: the traditional one, with letters, and the one used for illiterate people, that is constituted of the letter "E" with variation of rotation like "ш", in which the person is asked to indicate which side the letter it is.

The Carris Health Service

The first steps towards the creation of what was to become "The CARRIS health service" date back to 1878.

According to the Management Report of 1878:

"The Board is of the opinion that the fines imposed (for Traffic personnel) and all employees (subject to the Car Traffic Regulation), in the future constituted a special fund with exclusive application for relief to employees of the Company that are unable to work for it, temporarily or permanently. "
This proposal was approved at the General Shareholders' Meeting of February 1879. The Company's Health Service was created, which, over the years, has accompanied all its cash through medical stations installed in all the Stations.

11.09.18 CARRIS Museum Closed | 15th september

On 15th of September (Saturday) CARRIS' Museum will be closed.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

11.09.18 PARTH OF THE MONTH | Bus 217

Bus n. º 217 began service in 1952 having been taken out of circulation in 1982. Representative of the first double deck buses used by the Carris Company it was recuperated according to its design when it began service.

The buses  began in the 1940s; together with the tram cars this phase continues to this day.

The bus service was officially inaugurated on 9 April 1944, with six vehicles, whose first service, even before the inauguration, was to reinforce the tram service for the Exhibition  of the Portuguese World in Belém.


27.08.18 Parth of the month | Mimic panel Network Map

Mimic panel Network Map

The Network Map was displayed and made avaible to METRO passangers from 1972 at the Praça da Figueira exit lobby of Rossio station. 
The costumer pressed the buttons corresponding to the departure and arrival stations and a series of lights iluminated the rout on the map. 
The piece belongs to METRO but can be seen and experienced in the museological path of the CARRIS’s Museum in the first spaces.

29.07.18 Parth of the month | Ladder and Hosepipe Truck

Ladder and Hosepipe Truck

Moved by human traction, it had a wooden body and iron wheels and was built in the company’s workshops in 1937. 
You can find this piece at the second part of the Museum surrounded by other equipment of the Fire Network. 

The fire service was created in 1924 with the aim of preventing and fighting fires at CARRIS facilities. 
For this purpose it had a Fire Network, armed with bombs, fire extinguishers, boxes and buckets of sand, stairs and hose cars and, since the 1940s, a Network of Sprinklers.

16.07.18 Carris Museum closed | 21th July

On 20th of July (Friday) CARRIS' Museum will be closed.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.